Monday, July 16, 2007

Google maps gets better?

Amazingly, the folks at google have done it again. You can now get directions and "customize your route" by changing any of the directions that google recommends. By dragging and dropping to the road you want to take, google will instantly recalculate the route, travel time and distance.

Have an alternative route you want to compare, you can do that.
Want to avoid the game or shore traffic. No problem.
Want a new way to waste 20 minutes at work, well you get the idea.

They also have a relatively new feature called "Distance measurement tool" under the "My Maps" section that allows you to click any number of times on the map and they will calculate the straight line distance between these points. Its not as precise for road travel, but fantastic when considering walking or biking routes. For example, we can learn that from Chickie's & Pete's to the left field entrance at Citizens Bank Park is about 3482 feet (2/3 mile).

Now all they need to do is allow my to imput details as to how fast I drive, when I plan to start my journey, and it can give me a distribution of the length of my trip.

No comments: