Monday, August 27, 2007

Serves and Volleys

Its a grand August day as the US Open begins. I won't be able to make it to Flushing this year, but I'll watch plenty on TV and will be following the ticker when away from a TV. So without furhter ado, here are some things I expect or hope to see:

1) Federer should cruise into the finals. Roddick, Blake and Davydenko are not incredibly tough foes.

2) Now that electronic line calling (at least for challenges) has been around for a year, we're seeing players use it a little bit better. I think the challenge system is a good thing for tennis, even with its potential for abuse.

3) Even with Djokovic's strong early draw, I like him to go far, at least to the semis.

4) This point has nothing to do specifically with the US Open, but I think mixed doubles is a strange event. I couldn't think of any other professional sport where men and women played together. I'm not saying they should have the event, just that I won't be wathcing it.

5) Watching tennis in HD is fantastic.

6) Keep an eye on some of the young American men's entries. Sam Querrey has already shown he can beat decent players and could advance a couple of rounds. Donald Young (18) and John Isner (22) have shown some potential. I doubt either will go very far, but they'll be fun to watch. (UPDATE: Young dropped the first set in a tiebreaker, but is up a break in the second).

7) If you're looking for a place to discuss tennis or compete in a wide range of contests, I recommend this website, although its too late to enter for this tournament.

8) Blake has the potential to reach the semifinals. I say potential because there is a lot of variance in how he plays from day to day. But there is no one in his 1/4 of a bracket that he couldn't beat. He's played well this summer saving his ranking a bit.

9) A lot was made of the fact that Wimbledon began paying its men's and women's players equally, something the US Open has done for a while. The payouts should be based on how much revenue the draw earns. This is impossible to accurately calculate, but I'd imagine that the men's matches being best of 5 rather than best of 3 for the women should last longer and earn more money. Of course, there is a huge PR benefit of keeping the pay equal that is more important than a few hunderd thousand dollars.

10) And lastly I need to state that the US Open is my favorite tournament of the year. This is partly due to the fact that growing up, my dad and I would go every year. But its also driven by the fact that due to time zones (I live in Philadelphia) I get to watch more of this tournemant than any other grand slam. So for the next 2 weeks (or 1 fortnight if you prefer) I will sit back and enjoy some great tennis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mixed doubles and equal pay comments got me thinking about how women's tennis is incredibly popular compared to other women's sports. I can name a bunch of male tennis players and a bunch of female tennis players, but I can name only a few female golfers (vs. many male golfers) and that sport's probably closest to tennis in terms of popularity of the women's version. I guess basketball is close, but I can't name any teams that have won a WNBA championship. Hell, I don't even know if there is a professional women's softball league, but I can name probably hundreds of pro-baseball players. Is there a smaller gap between men's and women's tennis than there is for other sports? Is it just a question of the sports' histories?