Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Return of the blog

I've been away from a computer a lot lately which has led to less blogging. Hopefully I will catch up soon. We recently travelled to Ireland. You can see some pics or a video of a traditional Irish session.

There are of course some interesting things I learned in Ireland.

1) Ireland is in fact very green. Our weather was mostly good, but a couple of days they had a misting sort of rain. This helps keep lots of green things growing.

2) While the Irish beers are very good, I was surprised to see crappy American beers (Bud/Miller/Coors) on tap in almost every pub. And even though I did not see many people drinking them, I cried a little on the inside.

3) This was my first trip to an english speaking country in Europe and I learned that what they said about the Irish being friendly and talkative is definitely true. When you bounce around (or crawl) from pub to pub, you meet a lot of interesting people.

4) I did not do any driving, but I was trying to navigate the Irish roads. And its very weird to sit in the passengers seat on the left side.

5) We ate a "full irish breakfast" in 4 hotels. They were good, but all exactly alike.

6) Irish cities are very small. Dublin is the only place where taking a cab could even be considered. You can pretty much walk from one end of Galway to the other in 15 minutes.

No comments: